Thursday, April 23, 2009

More of my favorite art, The Musee d'Orsay

The Musee d'Orsay has the best collection of major French Impressionist and Post-Impressionist painting anywhere in the world. It also has a few other great period pieces. A visit there was a nice and peaceful way to spend an afternoon, exactly what I feel Impressionism was made for.

I saw this Manet a few years ago at the Met in New York, still looks the same I reckon.

Above and below: The museum has a great collection of Art Nouveau furniture and decorations, this section was my personal favorite despite the plethora of famous Manets, Monets, Degas, Tolousse-Lautrecs, and other rediculously famous paintings.


These are from a wall display I loved featuring the props from a famous shadow puppet theater from in Paris during the late 19th century. Other figures include soldiers, armies, bourgoise figures, farmers, animals and more.


A great painting I remember nothing about :(

2 comments:

ross said...

Love all your pictures. Can't wait to see your entire journey. :)

Today Silvia and I are going to see a Turner exhibition at the China National Gallery. For real! So yeah, there's art here too!

(That gorgeous little painting of the sleeping figure is possibly a Vuillard.)

Arielísimo said...

WOW! Turner... will it still be up the first week of May when I get back? I'd love to see it.

You're right about the sleeping figure painting, it's a Vuillard called "Sleep", 1891. Thanks Arroz!